Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm still back, and i feel like writing : Kingdoms of Kalamar elves

Ok, I'm still back, and I'm trying to train myself to write everyday. So, to go into detail, Kingdoms of Kalamar. Ironically, I haven't gotten the Campaign setting book, I've looked through it in stores, however I never have actually bought it, I got a source book in a din for 5 bucks, Friends and Foes, the Guide to Elves and Bugbears. Now I have not read the Bugbear half, but I'm really annoyed by the elf half, because it has what i don't like about elves. Now, I like alot of "elf" sterotypes, for example
  • I have alot of subraces in my game
  • Elves are immortal, isolationist, magical and arrogant
  • Elves have a very slow moving and particular culture
  • They tend to be good
However, the Elves in this book, in particular the High Elves, are just too damn perfect. They are wise and powerful, but they aren't expansionist, they have kings, but their kings are more like advisers, they are very free and open about their society but they aren't sexually deviant. Its just the best of all worlds. Honestly, my favorite Elves in the Book were the Grey Elves, because they were trying to get me to not like them....which made me like them, because they were more human cause they had Flaws
you know why we love Drow so much? because they have flaws, they are not good people while still being cool. Perfect societies are not only unrealistic, they are boring. This is why Dwarves are better than elves, because while Dwarves are badass, they are also greedy, proud, stubborn, close minded, brutal and rude.
That being said, i like all of the legends and i think I'm going to check out the setting proper to give it a real chance
from
EE

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cool to have you back, untresting posts, as usual. Cant wait for the next one!