Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Watchmen Trailer Expectations

This pessimistic message is brought to you by Grouchy the Dwarf, remember if the majority think something is good, it most likely isn't ;)



Now as everyone with any remote connection to the nerd world knows, the absurdly anticipated Watchmen movie is coming out next Friday, and people are getting really excited. Now, I like Alan Moore, but I’ve never been a big comic book guy, through I thought V for Vendetta and Watchmen were excellent (I hate Frank Miller, and I think he is a wonderful departure from his idiotic idea of “realistic” world design), but lets talk about my expectations. Now what I like about the book is its that it not only shows multiple viewpoints and perspectives, but also that Moore doesn’t try to force his own personal beliefs upon the reader as much as to tell a good story with many different viewpoints. Now I know the movie won’t be perfect, but there are something that worry me. I actually wouldn’t mind if the movie was horrible, it would be forgotten, and people would go back to reading the book. If the movie was great, like “Godfather” great, well so much the better, that’s the best case situation. But the worst that could happen I think is if they made a mediocre movie, one with enough special effects and badass fight scenes that’s it becomes popular, but makes lots of mistakes so people don’t bother to read the book, and the movie kinda ruins the perception of the book. Its not horrible, but it’s a risk.

The film seems good, but there is one nitpick that makes me worried. One thing I loved about the comic was how filthy everything looked. Rorschach appearance was that of a guy who never bothered to bath or take care of himself, just enough to keep fighting, which fit his idea of the “true” moral extremist. This adds to the idea of the comic, that the super heroes are real people in the 1960s, and goes into the theme of it feeling really “real”, IE that you could see a dude doing these sort of things while walking through the city. And the adds seem to fancy, too clean, too modern. The appeal is really in the fact that these super heroes aren’t that super, its normal people (with one exception) who are trying there best to fight for there beliefs, against realistic forces. What makes it dramatic is that they are fighting guns and guns are dangerous. I’m only going on gut instinct here, but if everything looks so fancy, I feel like it might be too action focused with people doing stupid looking fight. But whatever, hopefully I’ll be wrong lol

from

EE

7 comments:

kpenguin said...

Hey, EE, with Watchmen coming out just next week... why don't you do a whole alignment special on the lot of them? You haven't done an alignment post in a while.

EvilElitest said...

......I actually did, i was writing it right now. I'm doing "Anti Heros in comics" generally first, but after that i'm going to do the rest of the cast. Nice guess.
from
EE

kpenguin said...

Cool.

I wonder if there will be any differences in alignment between the book and the movie...

I hope not.

EvilElitest said...

I really do wonder. I've heard rumors that Dr. Manhattan and Ozimodious are different somehow, but i don't know the details. I'll watch the film and let you know if there is any significant difference, but as a lot of the characters are evil, i'd be really surprised. I"ll let you know

Oh the article of our favorite bag headed vigilante is done.
from
EE

kpenguin said...

A lot of the characters are evil?
Off the top of my head, I can only think of three among the main cast.

I might need to read Watchmen again.

Anonymous said...

EE's definition of evil and most other nerd's definition of evil is different.

EvilElitest said...

Most of the characters in the book are evil just out of there association with other evil actions. Comedian is evil of course, Dr. Mahatten is because of Nam and the ending, (through i'm not quite sure if it is right to give him an alignment). Hooded Justice is implied to be a sadist, through that is never really made clear. Everybody who is assocated with the ending kinda becomes evil, The main good guys for not doing anything, and the villans for letting it happen. Morloch is evil obviously, as are the criminals at the jail.
from
EE

Fri, my definition is just that i don't let my standards waver. A lot of people are determined to give there favorite characters non evil aligniments because they like them, not because of what the've done