Wednesday, April 8, 2009

13th warrior

Compared to this, even the Vikings look civilized


Now the first question I’m going to get is where the hell have I been? Well the answer is, well, vacation. But not I’m back and I have computer access, to an extent at least, so I’m going to review a B-movie I saw over the weekend. Now I doubt most people have seen this movie, and I’m not exactly recommending it in the conventional sense of the word, but let’s just get on with it.
The film is based after “Eaters of the Dead’ a book by John McTiernan (wrote Jurassic Park), the story of which is about a Baghdad Noble named Ahmad ibn Fadlan, sometime during the 9th century, who gets in trouble with the Caliph, and is banished to the north as an ambassador…IE the worst job in the Muslim Empire other than food tester. Up north, he meets up with a band of Vikings, who he converses with in Latin. However, apparently there is a village to the north being attacked by some sort of monster, and a local shaman is called for advice. She uses her magic to determine that 13 warriors must go to aid the village, but one of them must not be a Viking. As of such, Fadlan finds himself drafted into the mission of fighting in some small remote village, and if you’re noticing the Seven Samurai similarity that just means you’re paying attention. They go the village and are attacked by these monsters, called Wendols”, which are said to be, bear men. In reality, they look like primitive men dressed in bear fur, possibly some other species of humanoid, like Neanderthals (they have Venus figures, which is very interesting). And combat ensues.
Now let me make this clear, this isn’t what I’d call a good movie by any standard. The camera work is shoddy, the directing is clumsy and the dialogue is painful, the fights are laughable, and whoever wrote the script might not actually be literate, and yet, I liked the film. Well I was amused by the film. Well I didn’t cry during the film. What I liked is that, despite all of its numerous problems, there was a real genius in the story, a diamond within about half a ton of rough. First off, I like the Dark Age feel of it. Ok, maybe the prop and set department were just given a crappy budget, but I like the film because everything in it is really decrepit and fallen apart or primitive, much like the dark ages. With the exception of Fadlan himself, all of the characters look filthy, unwashed, and like well…they come from the dark ages. The village is a broken apart dump and the monsters look like really primitive guys who wear bear skins. I like the idea of the supernatural just being things people couldn’t explain, it’s implied that the monsters are subhuman who have entered a berserker rage and are cannibals. And I liked in the fight scenes how everybody is so clumsy and disoriented within the fighting. There is something to be said about a more realistic fight scene.
The movie also deserves credit for having a sympathetic Arabic character, something that Hollywood really lacks sadly. Fadlan is shown to be a very intelligent and culture character, for more than the barbarians around him, and while he is mocked for his small size and his inability to fight well, his great horsemanship earns there respect, as the Arabs were famously (or infamously if you were fighting them) good horsemen, and the movie avoids all of the demeaning serotypes often associated with Arabs. He is also played by Omar Sharif, which is just badass right there, he has some really funny expressions when he realizes not only do these people not bath, there understanding of medicine is horrible.
In essence, I think the film itself is bad, but think of what it could have been. The idea I think is wonderful, it could have been like seven samurai, but with the Grendel aspect thrown in. Personally I’m a big fan of the realistic/gritty view of the dark ages, such as the film Beowulf and Grendel or the French Excalibur, because that kind of dirty view of the time pretty accurate, and like the idea of the monster s not being actual monsters but just primitives in scary cloaks. With the modern movie industry the way it is, I really thing there needs to be a remake of this, because you could get a real masterpiece out of this storyline and setting. In short, I like it, not for what it is, but for what it could have been.
From
EE

6 comments:

fri said...

I like this movie. And for god sake, EE, try to use space *sobs*

Fri said...

Eh, and since you didn't put it in your post, Ahmad Ibn Fadlan is a real muslim explorer, who in spite of living in the dark ages, he got more travel miles than 99% of people in the 21st century. Somethng like Arabic Marco Polo, I think. And if my memory serves me right, he did describe something like the vikings in his travel log.

Mushroom Ninja said...

It's been a while since I saw that movie, but I remember liking it fairly well.

The thing that I thought was least plausible in the movie was Fadlan's ability to learn old Norse simply by listening to the vikings speak it.
It is not an easy language. At all.

Good point about the set. I liked it too.

EvilElitest said...

1) I did in the original, its this stupid blog site, it cuts out paragraph margins and double spaces
2) I didn't actually know that, i'm totally behind on Islamic history, which sucks because i really admire them for what i do know. Most of what i know comes in how they effect the west, and the beginning of the Islamic empire, so thats mostly the Ottomans-present crisis
3) Yeah, and even when he learned the language he didn't become perfectly fluent in it, which is think is pretty realistic. If this movie could be remade, you could have had a really good movie, far better than some of the stuff that has come out
4) I really liked the running gag about his not being able to drink alcohol actually

from
EE

Fri said...

I know about him because back then I was collecting things about ancient explorers. They're really cool, cooler than pirates or ninjas in my opinion :p.

explorer>pirates/ninjas.

EvilElitest said...

Actually i'm going to second Fri on that one, Explorers get massive kudo points because
1)They have to actually go into foreign lands and try to understand other peoples
2) They don't have to be theives or assassins and can be decent people
3) They actually you know.....existed in the cool sense of the word

I've had the stomach flue, so sorry for the delay
from
EE