Thursday, March 5, 2009

Defining God, the Alignment of Dr Manhattan


pants.....are for the weak


Now this watchmen character is a little tricky to place, because well……He’s essentially god. I mean, the whole point of his character is how detached he is from the rest of humanity and things like morals, or life or what not. But what the hell, lets go with it. Now, I think Dr. Manhattan is a cool character and he is actually pretty interesting, so I can understand why people might be upset about giving him a mortal term like as alignment. And yet, he isn’t really “God”, so much as a person given powers over the structure of the universe, which leads him to take a god like role, but he is still a persons…kinda. If I had to give him an alignment, I’d say LE. When he first becomes God through freak accident (“Whoops”), he was most likely just N, maybe NG, a kinda normal guy. Immediately afterwards he most likely the same, but steadily becomes more and more lawful, as he starts to come to view the world as a comic system of which he has total access too. Evil, simply because of his actions, he is responsible for killing thousands, possible hundreds of thousands of people in Nam, and while he isn’t inhuman, he is still rather cold and merciless.

SPOILERS BELOW

He goes along with the villains plan to unite the Soviet Union and the US, saying it is the best way (actually if he was so omnipotent, he should have realized that conflict could have ended without a single nuke being fired, but whatever), and he murderers Rorschach for no reason other than his attempt to get the truth out, thus threatening the “Ideal” peace. I have to say, I think that . Manhattan because he took the lazy way out, he could have very easily just used his own powers to try to achieve a peace, or take advantage of the horrible destruction of NYC in a different way (which he didn’t avert in any way actually), but he folds entirely to the villain’s plot. I mean, he is detached from humanity, and yet he goes along with the utilitarian scheme they offer. Evil, mostly out of detachment.

from

EE

2 comments:

Vanadium said...

Hey there. 'Tis Jake from PDS. I'm quite new to the blogging scene, and also I haven't read or watched Watchmen (I don't watch the Watchmen!) (Bad nerd, I know. I'm borrowing a friend's copy) so this comment is actually kind of off-topic. Anyway, my blog's located at readingforthewin@blogspot.com, so come check out my one and only post.

EvilElitest said...

Hey jake. Its nice to have you around. If you scroll through the blog you can find hte introduction article where you can see my mission statement
from
EE